Unfortunately Ashley has inherited my tendency for being stubborn. I know, many many of you are thinking, Stubborn? That's not the Laura I know! HA!! Ashley not only has this trait, but she has it triple bad.
Makes for fun parenting. I just love the fights and arguments that have ensued over math this year. For instance, this afternoon, Steven decided to call out a few facts to quiz her on, and for every single one he asked, she answered, Eugnh!!! So he told her she wasn't getting any food until she answered what he asked. So she tells him, I'm telling on you. And she runs to me, thinking there's no way mom will make her go without food just from not answering a couple of math problems. WRONG!
But back to the dinner. We are sitting there eating our yummy crawfish fettuccine and I ask how Ashley is doing. Teach answers back that she averaged her grade that afternoon. And she proceeds to tell me, "And when I was done, I just sat there and looked. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!" Turns out Ashley has all A's on her report card, except for one area. Can you guess?? Not reading, not science, not handwriting and certainly not conduct! It's freaking math! I was just so grateful that when I asked if it was a "U" that she said it's not, it's a D.
Ashley, the daughter of a math major and a chemical engineer of all things, has a D in math. GGRRRRRR!!!!! This one could make me scream!!
In Ashley's defense, they spend like 1 1/2 hours a day on reading and only 20 minutes on math. Also in her defense, they didn't start multiplication until the first or second week in February and proceeded to cram all the multiplication facts and division into their little heads by the second week of March. All so they could score better on the iLeap test. (Don't get me started on "teaching to the test." That's a whole other blog.)
Also, a U is what they are calling a F these days. Like the letter U has any less stigma than an F? Dumb administrators!
Anyways, so Monday I got her weekly papers home. She had one math worksheet thrown in the pile, which was worked on both sides. This is what I saw:
And on the back side:
What kind of child gets an A+ on one side of the worksheet and a U on the other? It's the exact same material!!! And notice the super super messiness. This is what happens when she wants to send a message.
I am about to go crazy with this. And if she doesn't stop grunting at me when I ask for answers, I'm gonna wind up in a looney bin. Really!
3 comments:
Maybe you should tell her you are not going to be a Math teacher to see if that makes a difference. Hey she says she wants to be an artist when she grows up instead of a brain surgeon so I guess math is not so important anymore.
Artist!? When did that start? I can't say that I remember Ashley ever saying to me that she wants to be an artist. Well, I guess that there are some things that your kid will tell you and some things that your kid will tell a grandparent. I don't have a problem at all with here having an interest in art. I should stir her to the art related books at the library. Did Laura know about the artist interest?
STeven
Honey, it changes weekly. An artist was last month, and a brain surgeon was last year. This week it's a teacher. Get with it dude!!
Post a Comment