
This afternoon, I was outside in my neighbor's yard doing some weeding. I'd much rather be weeding someone else's weeds, rather than my own. I know, I know, makes a whole ton of sense. But anyway, the story goes like this:
So neighbor, T, is out of town having surgery. She has breast cancer, and had a mastectomy yesterday, along with reconstruction surgery. Her hubby sent out a mass email detailing the day, and she was in surgery for 9 hours or so. Another neighbor and I have been weeding T's flower beds since it'll be awhile before she can. So we were out this afternoon digging in the dirt and getting all sweaty, and talking about the email. I commented that until now I have felt so bad for T, but after that email, I felt for her husband. He sat up at that hospital waiting for like 10 hours, and said that just as he was getting really nervous the doc finally came out to tell him the surgery was over.
So with that, I felt so bad for this man, sitting in the waiting room, knowing his wife is having major surgery, and he's alone and watching the clock for hours. My other neighbor agreed with me, and went on to say that she doesn't think her hubs would sit around like that for her. And she was serious.
I had never thought this woman didn't have a good marriage. Looks can be deceiving.
So here's my point:
To Steven: Thank you for being the kind of man who would sit in a hospital and wait on me however long it took for whatever the issue was. And for cooking lots of dinners and shuffling kids to ball practices and dance practices and washing dishes and laundry and tolerating such a lazy bum wife. And for being such a perty tooth fairy. You Are The Best.
To everyone else: Don't put up with that crap!
And don't forget those self exams. After never knowing personally someone who has battled breast cancer, in the past two months, I have seen two close people start the battle. And one of them has two small kids and is too young for that! (Or so we tend to think.) So it kind of hits close to home.
3 comments:
Very scary and very real.
Yea! for supportive husbands.
And, my imagination is running wild about your horror story w/ #4.. you must tell me!
Kudos to you, too for being such a wonderful neighbor. That is what I am so bad at.......seeing a need and just jumping in without being asked. I am happy to do something when people ask me, but I have a really hard time seeing something that needs to be done for someone and just doing it. You DO have a great guy....and I'm glad one of your neighbors does, too.
Post a Comment