Hypothetically speaking, what would you do?
Say you have a ten year old-ish daughter. And that daughter is sort of a klepto. As in keeps sneaking food out of the kitchen, and hiding it in her room. And this is a recurring problem. What would the natural consequences be? I'm all for creative punishments, but so far, I haven't found one to teach her to withdraw her sticky fingers. So, I'm looking for fresh ideas. Anyone?
And speaking of fresh...let's say that same sticky fingered kid is enamoured with pretty things. Pretty girly things. Unfortunately that child, in her snooping adventures, has come across some girly undies. The lingerie variety with...yeah...anyway. Just call it girlie. And once again, this is a recurring thing. The first time or two, her mother just told her to NEVER EVER EVER take her stuff again or else. But, well, tonight her daddy found a racey pair she'd stolen...yet again.
This girl does know the facts of life. So at what point do ya just say, Ok, do ya realize WHAT you're stealing here? Don't ya know what that's for? Your PARENTS have "broken" that in and you want it?
How the heck do ya get through the thick skull without padlocking it all?
Ok, yeah, ideas Please!!!
4 comments:
Yikes. You've got your hands full there, Lady.
On the food thing I'm torn between recalling a story (in real life of a woman I know) that has fought food issues (anorexia and bulimia) and remembering that I used to find granola bar wrappers and cheese stick packages under my Kidlets' beds.
The nightie deal, you're on your own. Never had to deal with that.
UHM....well.....uhm......gee, that sounds like some issues there. I am not sure what to say.....punishments?? Maybe only buy healthy nasty foods for a while and see if she steals those? Put locks on the cabinets? I don't know? I don't have any creative ideas....
As far as the fun underwear, I would just flat out tell her what it's four and that it's yours and that she is not aloud to touch it. Or, maybe you should find a better hiding place?? Girl, you sure do have your hands full with that one!! Oh, I so do not want my daughter to get older than three......
prevent where you can, and intervene when you have to.
in other words.. put stuff that you don't want her to have away where she can't get it. either lock it up or hide it better. if you can't then intervene w/ consequences that she understands and make sure you follow up with them, no matter how harsh.
that's all i got.
I don't really know what to tell you about the food, but as far as the undies, I think if she is old enough to understand the birds and bees, then she is old enough to know why your things are off limits.
But maybe this is her way of telling you that she wants some pretty undies of her own. Maybe a few pairs of her own lacy undies, age appropriate of course, will do the trick. She is almost 11, right, and maybe it's time to trade up from the Disney Princess briefs?
Post a Comment