Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Why We Will Always Use Math

My daughter is so tired of hearing me preach about the importance of math, but, as demonstrated many many times on this blog before, we all know I'm always right, right!

Point:

We forgot my dog's first birthday. It was last week. In my defense, she retaliated by spoiling the boys' closet. But that's beside the point.

Ashley was making cupcakes so we can have a birthday party. She first read the box as "Eleven and one-third cups of water, right mom?"

Me: No. Try again, hon. See the space between the 1 and the 1/3?

A: Oh yeah, ok. One and one third.

Later, as she was going on twenty minutes of scooping the mix into the pan, I walked over to check things out. The batter was so thick that when I stuck my finger in, nothing fell off of it.

Me: Uh, Ashley, how much water did you put in? Did you put one-third of a cup or one and one third of a cup?

Are you ready for this? Are you sure you're ready for this reply?
Here goes:

A: Ummmm.....the first one.

3 comments:

The Sanford Family said...

I wonder how the cupcakes would have turned out if you let her bake them with thick batter...hmmmm..

The Sanford Family said...

Good math lesson, by the way!!

Anonymous said...

love the Math Lesson :)

♥
Merrianne