Thursday, December 13, 2007

Poor Barney


"Joy to the world, Barney is dead.
We Barbequed his head"

This is what my 8 (almost 9) year old is going around my house singing right now. At the top of her lungs. Over and over and over. I think I've heard it now probably a kazillon times in a row. I'm serious--over and over.

"Nobody knows where his body is
We flushed it down the potty.
and round and round it goes."

How morbid these Christmas carols can get! I'm doing my best to tell myself that she's just being an annoying 3rd grader--and won't turn out a criminal just b/c she's singing this. I'm trying to tell myself that I need to just let her be--awful song lyrics and all.

Come to think of it, I guess I sang some pretty bad ones too:
Deck the Halls with gasoline
Fa la la la la la la la la
Strike a match and watch it gleam
Fa la la la la la la la la
(and so on)

Or another one:
I love you
You love me
Let hang barney from a tree
I won't introduce her to that version. She obviously is a fan of Barney torture.

Yes, it's terrible. I, fortunately have FINALLY outgrown this!! And doesn't it just bite your butt when the realization hits that your mom was right (what comes around goes around--it will be YOUR turn one day)??? AAAHHHH!!!!!!! She cannot be right!!!

I have heard this song so many times that I am sure I will be dreaming of poor Barney being barbequed and hanging upside down tonight.

Cuz she's not stopping. She's still belting it out, and loving it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pictures !!! You really are becoming a great photographer. And I am very happy to take credit for this skill you have acquired after forcing you to smile since you were 14 (and you hated every minute of it). I'm not sure when you actually gave in, but I do have several pictures of a cute teenager with her hand in front of her face! Not to worry about the Barney song. I sang those too and I think I am ok. Remember Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg....I can't remember the rest.