Since undertaking, yet again, a weight loss goal, I've been doing pretty darn good! In the two days I've been back on the diet, there have been no sonic trips, no raiding the kids' school stashes for chocolate, no fried foods, and no cheating! I've downed about 20 bottles of water, and even turned away from the frozen pizza and ranch dressing that my kids and hubby were enjoying and instead dined on roasted turkey with a classic pan gravy and mashed potatoes. (Do I sound like a commercial? Weight Watchers, you should be paying me for this!) Thank goodness for frozen lean dinners.
I am also in the process of adopting a new outlook on food. You know, "it's all in the mind." So here are my new thoughts:
When I drive aimlessly past Sonic and see the sign and think of the yummy m&m blasts with extra m&m's, I think "wicked sinful place of Babylon." And then I can drive right on past, sipping on my bottle of plain water, looking at the pictures longingly on the sign in the rearview mirror.
And when I see chocolate, I envision the horror of the "before" picture Steven so kindly took of me in my sports bra and spandex pants. Yikes! See, no chocolate desire anymore.
White rice, the bad carb that makes it's way into my red beans and gumbo bowls, is invoking thoughts such as, "substandard, atrocious, thigh swelling pieces of sheese," at which point I can happily pile my beans into an empty bowl and eat til my heart's content.
So you see, maybe, just maybe, I am on the right track this time! Of course, I don't think that my track being right or left was ever questioned, it was just my seriously weak nature that kept sabotaging my innocent desires. But this time, this time will be different.
You'll see!
13 comments:
Although it is a good idea to have a not so great picture of yourself for motivation, I like having a great picture of myself to help my motivation. I have one in a pink pokadot bikini that attracted your Dad to me way back when that I keep posted in my closet. Although I know I will never have that body again, it helps me know that I can at least work in that direction.
wooo hoooo (about the comment just before mine!?!?! wowza! talkin' about your Daddy-o being attracted to her in her BIKINI!?!?! i know you GOTTA love that!)
"Gran"--(whoever you are)- YOU GO GIRL!!!!
anyway...back to Laura....you are funny about your dieting...i am SO glad you just "keep it real" on your blogs! :) I can't wait to see your "after" photos.....just not in the same outfit as your before picture that your hubby took! :)
Yep, Merrianne, it pretty much gives me the willies to know that my DAD was ATTRACTED to a chick in a pink polked dotted BIKINI---EUWWWW!!!!! At least she keeps the picture hidden in her closet!
I used to keep a nice looking picture of ME in a bikini on the fridge so I'd have to see it everytime I opened it, however, I took it down when I realized we just had the missionaries over for dinner and they saw it! There went that!
I am just putting in my vote for you to POST that picture that Steven took...........anybody second that????
Just kidding! Go girl! I keep telling Matt that is what I need to motivate me. Maybe I will take mine this weekend!! EEWWW!!!
I did get in my bathing suit this past weekend and it was not a pretty sight!!
I try to remember how I feel like a slug after a sugar binge to help me abstain. Sometimes it helps, sometimes I decide I don't mind feeling like a slug.
I try to remember how I feel like a slug after a sugar binge to help me abstain. Sometimes it helps, sometimes I decide I don't mind feeling like a slug.
I try to remember how I feel like a slug after a sugar binge to help me abstain. Sometimes it helps, sometimes I decide I don't mind feeling like a slug.
i am so sorry - i'm not trying to takeover the comments page, i promise
A friend gave me some advice way back when and it has stuck with me.."nothing tastes as good as thin feels".
Good luck Laura! I know you can do it! It truly is in the mind. I remember when I lost weight what I told everyone and that is "It's in the brain. If you can change your thought process, then you will lose weight". It worked for me before (lost 38 pounds in 3 months!) so now I need to do that again! Maybe we could start a diet blog where we give each other encouragement and tips and such! I know I need motivation big time! I've got all this post-adotion-baby weight gain!!
Julianne, I am ALL for it!
if you really DO start a Dieting/Exercising/Etc.... Blog Club thingy.... I want to join, too! :) It REALLY IS hard to go at it alone!!!!
Good luck in your efforts!
What worked best for me was a lifestyle change. Hardly any processed foods and smaller portions. I still have the chocolate and the sweets, just less of it.
Two years later, I'm roughly 45-50 pounds lighter. I still have a way to go, but skipping the treats would have backfired on me.
Hey Sweetie,
I tell ya, I can't wait to nothing but good, healthy food around the house. I think the worst thing that we (I) every did was to allow the level of decent food in the house to drop. When we run out of fruit and yogurt (things that are handy to grab for a snack or throw in a bag for lunch) I really suffer. This is because I typically end up not taking anything for lunch to work and end up eating junk from the near by convenience store (gotta luv Jack-N-the-Box where large means 44oz and small means 32oz). When it comes to food, it ain't the quantity as much as it is the quality. So I'll help ya make sure we have got some good food in the house.
I am your number one supporter and number one fan... go Laura!
Love ya,
Steven
Post a Comment