So Jacob is officially a Cub now. I guess that's how it goes. Unfortunately I haven't spent too much time with him on the scout thing. But Steven has been to every meeting with him, and the campouts and field trips. They have had some super bonding time over this.
This weekend is the family campout, which we opted out of. I don't know why camping out in 50 degree weather with mesquitos and a baby and 3 hyper kids didn't sound like an absolute blast. Or maybe it was the thought of those campground toilets I dread so much, or the hikes you have to take to go anywhere or the thought of hearing all the annoying rowdy boys until 4 in the morning. Seriously, don't their parents get sick of hearing them too??
But we had to go for the evening tonight to the bridge ceremony. It was a cute, short and sweet meeting. Just the kind I like, especially when my 5 year old won't stop throwing sticks into the fire, or running around the fire, or yelling when they are holding up the "shut your hole" sign. Steven helped Jake across the bridge, and while I didn't get a picture of that, I did get the video. You will see it's NOT posted, though I'm quite sure it will break your hearts to miss out on seeing it.
We stayed for some great boiled hot dogs. Did I just say boiled? At a camp out? Why yes, I did say that. We had a roaring fire going, but we stuck our weinies in a pot on a campstove and let them boil away. That's ok, because it kept Christopher away from the fire that he enjoyed pestering me with. Instead the entire "pack"--not as in a scout pack, but as in a pack of dogs--of boys ran and chased each other with the coolest sticks ever. They found some long skinny pointy ones, and some short gun-style ones, and some big fat stocky club style ones. They chased each other and just had a grand time trying to see who could club the hardest or get an eye first. Great games, right?
It rained for hours this morning, making the area...muddy! What a great feeling to walk the trail and feel the mud squish around your shoes. All I could think was, "I am carrying this baby. Pul-ease don't let me fall. Pul-ease don't let me fall. PUL-EASE!!" And I threatened all the kids. I told them if they weren't careful, they would slip and fall and then they would have to go around naked, until we got home and got clean clothes. I guess they believed me for once, because actually no one got muddy! Aside from shoes, everyone was clean and sweaty. Great smell.
To finish out the night, we had many pleas from Ashley to stay. She didn't care that we didn't have a tent, or any clothes, food, pillows, blankets, flashlights, or soap. She just wanted us to sit in our chairs all night under the stars and let her run and play and try to beat up some boys with her sticks. What a wonderful childhood fantasy! As Steven tucked her in tonight, she asked when we could go back there.
So now we are thinking we need a big fun campout. We are looking for recruits to help us recreate this experience for our kids. Only without the scouts, boiled weinies and cold. Let me know if you wanna come. It'll be a blast, and we can have a stick hunt and stick races all night long!!
4 comments:
Yeah, I'm not sure what it is with kids and sticks. I know that I was a stick-finding and stick-toting kid way back when. Sticks can be anything: a sword, a gun, put enough of them together and they become a club house (no kidding, my brother made this really cool club house by inter-weaving those green, skinny bamboo canes that you find all over the place.) and if you find an old branch from a tree that is all forked and twiggy, it can become a monster. Now you have something to destroy with your stick-sword so you can easily become the knight in shining armor who saves the stick village and stick villagers from the ravages of the stick breathing stick monster and become the hero of the stickdom. Yep, kids really think that sticks are great. By the way, my medicine is working.
I love cub scouts.
Bridging ceremony. Jacob got the Tiger Badge signifying the completion of all of the requirements to receive this badge. He also receive the Outdoor activity award, his archary belt loop, his BB gun belt loop and his baseball belt loop. He was suposed to get the yellow elective activity bead (completing 10 tiger cub elective activities) but they didn't have the yellow beads tonight. Yeah! Go, Jacob. [I need to work on his cub scrap book. Laura, you wanna help?]
We love to go camping! We should plan a big family campout before it gets too hot!:)
Camping sounds fun as long as there are no FROGS!!!!
Post a Comment