Summer is not starting well for me, although I think you have clued in on that already. I think the kids misbehaving is really a sign that they miss school and want to go back! (78 more days!)
But, if getting books and toys thrown at me isn't enough, I planted a
Until recently, it's been going fantastically well.
We have a row of herbs, although see the large cluster of leaves overlapping the patio? Yeah, those are beans. I planted beans by seed in a hanging pot, and left the extra seeds on the patio table for a few minutes. My darling kiddos decided to dump them into the herb garden and see what they do.
So now I've got to find another spot for a buttload of beans!
Our tomatoes are growing fast. We have cherry, grape and regular ones. We have been picking a few small ones every day, but now the big ones are getting ready. I can't wait for those!
We also have a squash, cucumber and zucchini, along with cayenne and banana peppers.
But lets go back to the squash and cucumber. This is my latest headache. The squash grew beautifully. I got one squash full grown, and bunches of others that were looking great, and so cute. But the cucumber, which is close to the squash, started getting these awful spots.
Which of course, spread to the squash, and now all the teensy cute squash have rotted. I picked the other large squash that maybe wasn't quite ready before it could rot. What a pain in the butt.
So now I'm having to do my google research, and I think I've diagnosed a problem: powder mildew. Which requires some sort of fungicide to get rid of, or it will keep spreading. I don't know if I can save these plants, but if I have to pull them up, well, then my bean-space problem is solved.
Please, oh please, tell me that these past few days is NOT indicative of the rest of the summer.
2 comments:
I planted a small experiment this year too. A very tiny one, actually. And I've learned one thing already - tomato, squash, and cucumber plants get pretty big and need more than 8 inches between them.
Hey man, the squash fried up real nice... after ya got past those big seeds.
Great Job,
Steven
Post a Comment