Friday, July 11, 2008

Don't You Wish Your Baby Could Dance Like Mine?

The cutest thing ever happened in our house last night. I know you are all jealous not to have such an honor, but really, this is the best.

I was in the living room playing with baby Syd, when I realized that all my big kids had disappeared. Never a good sign. They were holed up in the boys bedroom with the door shut. This is an even worse sign. Nothing good can come of this. Right?

I charged down the hall, fully expecting to throw open that door and surprise the crap right out of those naughty children being caught in the act. It's always best to catch them in the act. Then no one can lie to you.

Imagine my surprise when I threw open the door and saw the floor cleared of toys (What?!) and the music blaring (Jump Around) and three children dancing and jumping around to the music! Of course I had to be all authoritative and say, "What's going on in here?" They smiled at me (!) and said "We're all dancing and taking turns dancing to a song by ourselves!"

Aliens have taken my children and replaced them with strangers. This was my first thought.
My second one was, "OOOh Fun!" So Syd and I joined in. She stood up and I helped her twist her little body back and forth (swinging her arms around for her works well) and she laughed and laughed, and we all just danced. And were Merry.

Two songs later, I was pooped. These little critters have got some major energy for 10 p.m. (Yes, they were still up that late. Hey, it's summer!) So I picked up the baby and left.

Back in the kitchen, I put down Sydney and started talking to Steven about what the kids were doing and how great it was. Two minutes later, I looked down and Sydney was no where in sight!

My little genius baby knew where the fun was, and it wasn't in the kitchen with mom and dad. She had crawled back to the boys room and was right in the middle of those rowdy kids, bebopping on her knees and throwing her arms up in the air as fast as she could. With the absolute biggest grin ever all across her face.

It was one of those must-get-on-video moments, but also one of those if-I-leave-to-get-the-camera-this-will-end times too. So I stayed, and called Steven to watch (why he didn't grab the camera on his way is a mystery to me, but then I'll never figure out how the male mind works). So us old fogey parents stood in the doorway and watched with pure glee our four kids dancing and singing and jumping and cartwheeling and having a full-out party.

It was so heartwarming! Makes this morning of disgusting discoveries (see previous post) almost not so bad. Grrrr.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. And, I hope your neighbors don't call the sheriff on YOU this time ;)

Andrea said...

Sounds like lots of fun!! My kids say up late too. When my husband comes home he always asks, "what time do these kids go to bed?" It's funny!!
I so would have loved to have seen them all dancing. It's so wonderful when they all get along! :)

Jennifer said...

your blog looks great! really cute. Ooo..and youre calling me adding when my last post was..dirty. but motivating! :-)

Unknown said...

Yep, it was cute. And yes no one wanted to leave to get the camara from the fear of missing this scene.

JNew said...

That sounds so adorable!

gwen said...

Sydney is so adorable and is getting so big! I bet she's a good dancer! How fun....moments like that are priceless.