Thursday, August 14, 2008

New Year, New Hopes

I am spending my time these days getting kids ready for school. They need haircuts, a few more folders and early bedtime tonight. I can't wait!

I took them in for meet and greet yesterday. I had never met or heard of any of their teachers, so I was kind of nervous. Last year was a diaster. I have decided to be prejudice and come out with this statement:
Old teachers are bad. Young ones (or ones closer to being out of
school) are good.

Now that I've offended all 10 readers I have, let me explain a little.

Before we moved here, we had all young teachers. To define young, I will say less than 50 years old! They were all fabulous. (Not to say all young teachers are fabulous. But the ones we had were.) Then we moved. They had young teachers here. Fabulous.

But last year, we had two old ones. I mean OLD. One had come out of retirement to teach for a year, and the other had taught school for over 30 years. So yeah, old.

You would think that all those years of experience would mean something, but they were so "old school" in the way they taught and ran their classroom. And my kids just barely kept their heads afloat. It was sad.

In their defense (the kids), many other parents had the same problems. I'm not just being whiny here, even if it sounds like I am.

So to go yesterday and see that their teachers are right what I want them to be. I spent an hour and a half there, and walked out with tears in my eyes. I can actually predict a great year this year!

As long as they remember to not fart, burp or spit in the classroom, throw spaghetti in the lunchroom or bite their friends on the playground, we may actually be able to pull off a happy year!

4 comments:

npage79 said...

I like young teachers, too, but b/c in this small town if you have an old teacher they say "Colby I know your father would you like me to call him" or "Colby I had your mom in class, does she know you act like that."

Laura said...

Hey, if my kids had that kind of threat, maybe the year would have been different, but frankly, the teaching just sucked! And they weren't scared one bit.

Anonymous said...

You ought to watch out for the age discrimination police. They are on to you.

Anonymous said...

You ought to watch out for the age discrimination police. They are on to you.