
That's what I told my kids I was this afternoon. Actually, what I said was, "I'm SOOOOOO Bum tired." This was my attempt to clean up my usual "Butt Tired" phrase in front of them. They immediately jumped on it saying, Plum Bum Tired Mom.
Yep, that's me.
Let's see. Hubs was gone the entire week last week. We're talking Sunday to after 11 p.m. on Friday. I used to be used to his traveling. But with his "new" job he's been so spoiled. Of course, you'd think that with the amount of time he's actually around, I'd be used to being by myself anyway. It was a LONG week.
So, he came home just in time for me to have a butt-busy Saturday, along with a pretty determined Sunday too. Throw in a grocery shopping Monday, and I'm pooped. Plum Bum Tired.
I decided to venture out into the unknown today. It was quite the trip, and one I started planning for on Saturday night--Couponing. And bargan shopping.
I'm so tired of hearing about everyone else's insanely awesome deals, while I have none. Zero. Nothing I can contribute to the conversation, except, "Wow, aren't you completely irritating lucky!" while I try to hide the sarcasm and jealously behind a smile.
And you know the saying, you can't get nothing for free? Wow, you really can't. Because even getting free toothpaste and toilet paper today took a day and a half of freaking preparation. To get something free I can spit and flush down the drain. But I've decided to chalk that up to inexperience. After a whole day at it, I know what I'm doing now. I'm a pro.
It took a day and a half to pull together a coupon stash, research deals and flyers and make a plan. I hit Walmart, Target, Albertsons, Kroger, CVS and MarketBasket all in one day. I axed Walgreens due to sheer exhaustion at that point. It wasn't worth three cans of bumblebee tuna, chicken broth or bleach.
But I am proudly able to now join the ranks of "Good Deal Shoppers." I bought 55 pounds of flour, 18 boxes of cereal, 10 boxes of hot chocolate, pork chops, ground meat, a turkey, toothpaste, toothbrushes, oatmeal, and whatever else I could jack my grocery bill up with that had a Sale sign hanging over it, or a coupon for in my pocket (or preferably both.)
It felt incredible to watch the register total at Kroger go up and up and up, and then after all the coupons and discounts, fall down over $100, and leave me spending less than what I saved. Significantly.
Here's my question, though. Is it worth all this exhaustion? I could have just hit Walmart this morning, loaded up with what I needed and gone home to bed. I could have extended my beauty rest, and spent the day blogging and entertaining you. Instead, I'm dead on my feet, trying desperately to be nice to my kiddos, and being Bum Boring. I think I need Encouragement PLEASE!!

8 comments:
Holy cow!!!! I'm so proud!!!! Yes, it is so worth it when you can often cut your grocery bill in half. Yes, it does take some time and prep but it does go faster the better you get at it. Really. I figured it out one week...I caculated the time I spent clipping coupons, going through adds, etc and compared it to how much I saveed...I earned about $30 an hour. Also, did you know Walmart will price match anyone's add? They won't match "buy on get one free" or "% off" but they match pretty much everything else, even produce. Aldi's ad had a 5 lb bag of red potatoes for $1. I took the ad to Walmart, found a 5 lb bag of red potatoes and took the ad to the cashier. I just told her I wanted to price match the the potatoes from the Aldi's ad and tada!! A $6 bag of potatoes for $1. In other words, you can save yourself from going to too many stores. I also try not to go to every store in one day. That's exhausting, especially if your toting a little one.
Don't give up!! You are doing so good! anything to save a buck...
Wow, I am impressed. I have not figured out coupon shopping one bit, but I am impressed and envious of all of you who have figured it out.
Hey if you still want to visit my blog I have a new one... www.foughtblog.blogspot.com
I don't know, but I am impressed!
im getting a little jealous myself now! then i can remember how exhausting it is and im over it. :-) but even if you did this every other month, or over a few days or whatever, it would still be worth it.
you saved well over 100 dollars. You deserve a night out with friends to go see some "soft" horror/vampire movie. Note: I don't know anything about this twilight craze, but it looks like the "chick flick" for vampire movies. I mean come on, vampires are SUPPOSED to bite the chicks neck and suck her dry --- go watch dracula.
"Soft" or not, this is one HAWT vampire, and I will be drooling along with three hundred other chicks tomorrow night. Yeah, baby!
Post a Comment