Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Ray of Sunshine on a Cloudy Day

I've had a terrible day today, to say the least. I just sat down and had this whole post written about it. About how we missed church and how awful the kids were to get going this morning, and trust me when I say it was bad.

I got to the end of the post, read over it for mistakes, and was just about to click publish when I hestiated. I can't say why, b/c I don't know. So I went back and read it again, and was just about to publish again, when the dryer sounded in the laundry room. I ushered Ashley in and assigned her the task of folding the clothes for me, so I could continue to sit here and blog without guilt, and for once she didn't protest the chore!

Once again, I had the mouse arrow poised on top of the publish button, when I was interrupted.
This time it was Ashley:

"Mom, what IS this?" She came walking into the room holding something out away from her with two fingers--as if it would bite her.

"Bring it here and let me see." As she walked closer, I realized exactly what it was and tried to think quickly what I could say to her that would make the least amount of impact on her so that she's not repeating this scene in therapy years down the road.

Because how do you explain to your ten year old daughter, who knows nothing of the birds and bees, that she's holding her mother's victoria secret lingerie?

"Um...that's just an undershirt...kind of...Just go fold it and put it down!"

And that was probably my first real smile moment of the day...and yes, the evily smile counts!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, that'll definitely come up in therapy a few years down the road! at least she doesn't think the packaging from the ky yours+mine is binoculars!!

Mia said...

**blush** Oh my that is too funny!

Andrea said...

Kids are always good for a smile. I am so sorry you had a bad day. I hope you are doing better now.

The Sanford Family said...

I guess the benefit to not liking *that* is I don't have to worry about stories like this. It will keep a smile on my face today, though. That's too funny.

The Caple Crew said...

ha ha i love it!