Thursday, April 16, 2009

Meanie Mom

I'm one of those moms who enjoys her kids working. It teaches them to work and be responsible and allows me some laziness all at the same time. Kills two birds with one stone.

Not that I don't work myself, but it sure helps that they're old enough to call upon for such jobs as scrubbing their toilet (done by the boys since they yuck it up), unloading the dishwasher, and vacuuming. And they're learning to repeat my motto in their sleep: Do it right the first time and you'll never have to fix it. Because boy do they have to do some fixing.

Like putting away the dishes: I have been blessed with enough cabinet space for every dish to have a spot and it stays neat. I've never understood those who just dump dishes in a cabinet in a big ol jumble. They fall out when you open the door! But my kiddos think that's ok. And they sure don't like it when I make em come redo their sloppy ol work.

I also enjoy sending them on errands for me. Like I'll be in the office, cruising the net, and my princess will want a sippy cup. The solution? "Ashley! Can you get Sydney a drink please?" Nevermind that the desk is a measly fifteen feet away from the fridge or that Ashley is in her bedroom on the other side of the house.

Or like this morning when I sent Jacob outside to the van to get my cord so I can charge my dead ipod. Only here's my question.

Does it make me a bad mom that I waited until he was right next to the van and then I hit the alarm button and enjoyed watching him jump a mile high?

Of course the bugger came inside and told me that someone broke into the van again. So I guess he got me back pretty good.

3 comments:

Nette @ Smiling Mom said...

Haha! I think we'd be great friends. :-)

Anonymous said...

ha ha! Laura!

The Sanford Family said...

That's a good one! Meanie? Nah!