Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hallejuah!!

I have been a mom now for 9 years. And most of the time I've had a baby or small child to be home with. They have given me many challenges and just when you are just about to give up on something they can absolutely surprise you. Like Ashley learning to ride a bike. She wouldn't want to even try to learn because it would be hard to do and take some effort and practice. If she can't just do it right away, then it's not worth it. I finally had to make her get out and do it, which was my one last attempt, and I looked up and she was just going down the road. Amazing!! It's so exciting when that happens.

I have taken care of 4 babies now. I have nursed and dealt with fevers and sicknesses and sensitive skin and even constipated newborns! One thing I have never been able to do with any of my babies is to get them to use a pacifier. Jacob was the worst--he would spit it out and pop in his thumb at 3 months old. We went round and round over that thing! Christopher, after buying out every kind sold, finally decided he MIGHT take the one kind I had to drive 30 minutes to get. It was important enough to me to do, so I did, and the little booger decided it wasn't so great after all. And living so far from home, a pacifier would have been helpful on those LONG car rides when the babies would just scream and scream to get out of their carseats.

I was so determined that Sydney was going to take one. I took one to the hospital, and we were going to start it right then and there. Yeah right. When you look at your newborn who is camped out nursing, it's hard to stick something else in their mouths that MAY cause them to change their little mind on nursing--at least that's what "they" tell us. Well, dumb ol me hesitated, and so consequently my little baby decided, nope, no way! Bottle too! So she proceeded to scream almost the entire 12 hour trip to and from St Louis, and probably only half of our trips to Baton Rouge have been scream free.

And being the ever-hopeful mom that I am, I carry one around with me everywhere. I have bought, once again, every kind I can find in the stores, both rubber and silicone. Do you know how much those stupid little things can cost? Bottles too--I've got all of them, also, but that's another story. Little Sydney, though, has learned to suck her tongue instead. But she gave me a present today. She finally sucked a pacifier.

YAY!!! She sucked this little sucker all afternoon and evening!! She sucked for her entire bath, and while she got lotioned up and dressed for bed!

I am a happy mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you are happy about the pacifier! But the question is...did she suck it again the next day?