Monday, January 28, 2008

Crappy Cold


I have come down with a doozy of a cold today. It's amazing how it just gradually comes on, throughout the day, until finally it is a full-fledged snotzy cold. I feel gross. Of course I am nursing and can't take any good meds for it, so I went surfin to see what I could find in the way of help. You won't believe what kind of crazy advice is out there!

1. Garlic juice made by adding few drops of garlic oil to a teaspoonful of onion juice and dilute it in a cup of water (ewwwww)

2. Ginger tea or a teaspoonful of ginger juice taken with equal quantity of honey. (ewwww again)

3. Slice some onions and then make them into a necklace (this is DEFINITELY not happening)

4. The roots of the bitter gourd plant are used in folk medicine to cure a cold. A teaspoon of the root paste, mixed with an equal quantity of honey or tulsi leaf juice, given once every night for a month, acts as an excellent medicine for colds.
It actually says for a MONTH! Obviously this one is a dud.

I didn't find anything especially useful. I did learn some other "tricks" though. Like, taking the skin/membrane from eggshells and applying them wet side down around toes will cure an ingrown toenail. And if a baby has hiccups, take a piece of red thread (it must be red) and wad it up in your mouth and put it on the baby's forehead. This will absolutely make the baby's hiccups stop. But only BABY hiccups. And for a headache, take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. (Hey, if nothing else you will smell yummy!) And I won't even mention what they want you do do with a tampon for a yeast infection. I don't think so!!

All I have to say is the dudes who thought these up, those are some gifted bums.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lime on the forehead... then some salt around your feet... couple of dosed of Nyquil... sounds like (almost) the ingredients for a margarita. But I'm not sure if the alcohol in Nyquil is tequilla or rum or some other verity of alcohol.

Anyways I really hope you feel better tomorrow.

Love you,
Steven

Amanda said...

I think you are just wanting an excuse to skip church this weekend!! LOL!!! I hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

What is the blog award of the day? Does it involve money? Or is it just a prestige thing?

Love you,
Steven

Anonymous said...

Girl....I have no reward to give you except these kind words: YOUR BLOG IS HILARIOUS! I look forward each day to your blog postings!!!!!
Across the miles here in Tennessee, you are giving this gal a good laugh! I hope you get well soon!

No wonder Homeopathic Herbal People Have a Reputation for being KOOOOOKIE!
I am all about some home remedies....but some people go TOOOOO far! (ha ha ha!!!)

When I was in your condition or pregnant and could not take medicines, I drank herbal teas....chamomile teas & lemon teas did seem to help...even just smelling them when they are too hot to drink helps.

I hardly take medicine now...even though technically I can....but I do not like to. But, warm herbal teas help me & so do nice hot showers. Somehow the hot water breaks up the congestion. That is what I do when I feel any kind of sickness coming on and It seems to work miracles. I even do that when everyone around me is sick because I do not want to get anything. I haven't been actually "sick" for more than a day in years. ((knock on wood!))

Merrianne

p.s. i think i have heard the one about the yeast infection cure....freaky!--NEVER TRIED IT, THOUGH...and would not recommend it!

(((dang... this is a long comment... sorry 'bout that, tee hee )))

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS ON THE BLOG OF THE DAY! A SUGGESTION THAT I DO AND I THINK I MENTIONED IT TO YOU IS A SINUS FLUSH. YOU CAN GET IT AT WALGREENS CALLED NEILMED.

Anonymous said...

To Gran,

A sinus flush sounds too much like a preventive maintenance procedure for your car. You know: radiator flush, fuel system flush.

Just asking...