Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Griping and Complaining and a Very Long Day

Where to even begin? I am sitting in bed, with a screaming-achy back as I write this. I have had a busy busy afternoon. But my back started this morning. I guess after all my weeding yesterday, my muscles had to protest, because I woke up this morning with the kind of back pain that screams at you when you inhale too deeply. So I took the kids to school, took some motrin and went back to bed with the baby. Motrin is a wonder drug. After a couple of hours I felt all better, so I loaded up the Syd and went off to Walmart. We bought more gardening things: a tomato fence thingy, another couple of plants, plant food, and a couple bags of potting soil. I'm going to have veggies coming out of my ears this summer!

So, home from Walmart, and off to get the kids. We went to aqua babies again this week (don't know if I blogged that one or not.) It was our second time to go, and Sydney just loves it. It takes her awhile to really get into it, but by the end of the class today, she had attempted several times to blow bubbles under water, "fallen" in and got her face underwater, and was splashing with her hands. She also relaxed on her back with her head on my shoulder. It's so very very cute.

I also need to say that my older kids are very very jealous that Sydney gets to swim and they don't. They just think it's "NO FAIR." My response? What. Ever. That, and I told them that they'd been swimming like 1,897 times in their lives and she's only been twice. It's her turn.

We came home and spent the whole afternoon on the yard. Steven got my pear trees planted--he got me two of them for Mother's Day, and the deal was he had to completely plant and mulch them too. He did a good job. I spent my time outside finishing up my weeding, planting a few more plants, potting a plant, feeding and watering my plants, putting up my tomato fence (and I need 3 more of them) and cleaning up.

By the time I was done it was 8 p.m., we'd not had dinner yet, I was covered in dirt and mud, and my back hurt so bad I could barely stand up straight. So I popped some more motrin and spent the next two hours dealing with Ashley and homework.

Yes, I said two hours. We didn't start until well after 8, and we didn't finish until well after 10. But she got it done, and I'm so incredibly proud to say I didn't even loose my temper. Big, Big, Big Accomplishment.

But after all that I informed requested a back rub from Steven. Isn't that what husbands are for? There to help ya with the heavy stuff and rub your shoulders when you hurt really bad? Don't get me started on the back rub crap, though. I could have a whole back rub category on this blog from my issues with getting him to service me. You know the expression "it's like pulling teeth?" It's more like pulling back muscles.

But he sucked it up and did it. I got two hands for about 3 minutes before he went back to the typical one handed, half attention on me/half on his PSP CRAP. Normally this would be irritating, but I'd be so grateful for what I got, I would bite my lip.

But tonight, with the pain I am in, it just frustrated me. And even though I tried to tell him I needed more, he'd do it for a few seconds, and then turn his attention right back to that dumb PSP. I am getting mad just writing this!

I ended up telling him he was doing me no good, and to leave me alone. He didn't get it, so I actually told him his half-a@@ed job was doing more harm than good. Meaning I actually got mad enough to use that term, so physically he wasn't doing a darn thing and mentally he was working me up.

What ever. It's over and done with, I popped another Motrin and he's now pleasantly snoring right next to me. And I'm only slightly resentful. (As if you couldn't tell.)

So those are my gripes today. Good night. Tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be back in the bed all morning, snuggling with my heating pad. But it's better than a one-freaking-handed-"I-hate-doing-this" back rub.

Sorry, hon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, back rubs. Dustin.is.the.same.way. DRIVES ME NUTS! I know exactly how you feel.

Amanda said...

Well, it is a sign that you are too old to grow a garden! Hire someone!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer said...

that aqua baby class sounds fun..they've already got her going under water?
so now that carly AND brooke are gone, who are you rooting for? i'm for anyone but david cook (even though he's talented, he gets on my nerves)