Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sydney the Aqua Baby


Many of you know that I have put Sydney in an aqua baby class at the gym. Last week was our second week, and she was getting her face in the water after "falling" off the side of the pool. Let me clarify though. Her face was barely underwater, and she loved it.

Other things we are doing are teaching them to float on their backs. Obviously my 9 month old hasn't accomplished that one--yet. She lays back on the water and either rests her head on my shoulder or in my hand while my other hand lightly supports her butt. She gets so relaxed that way. We are also showing them how to blow bubbles in the water also, and I'm super proud to say that Sydney not only has tried this, she has managed a cute little bubble or two!

Well yesterday was a whole other a ball game. The swim lady (I can't remember her name, so I'll just call her SL) had us set the babies up on the side of the pool, in preparation to do "height level changes." Or in real words, to let them fall in. We started that last week, and we did so well that she used us as an example to show the rest of the class how to do it correctly. Does this make me a bad mom--that I'm perfectly willing to throw my infant in the big ol pool and go underwater? Well, the term underwater was seriously redefined for me this week.

SL came around to help us get started, and being as we were the closest to her, she started with us. She said, Here mom, let me show you how, first.

I trustingly handed my baby over to her. And then I watched in horror as she let Sydney do the fall and fall all the way under the water!!

To further my surprise, Sydney came up just blinking her eyes. No big deal. So I clapped and did the "mommy yea!"

And spent the rest of the class period letting my baby fall under water. All. The. Freaking. Way.

And to close the class, we were informed that next week we will "build on this activity."
We will let them go down to the bottom. To the bottom of the pool.

I'll let you know if I survive!

Picture Disclaimer: This is not Sydney, but a copy from google. I'm not brave enough to attempt a picture while my baby is under the freaking water! Geez.

7 comments:

JNew said...

I can't decide if that sounds fun or terrifying - I guess a little of both. It completely goes against nature to let a baby fall into water!

Laura said...

I KNOW!!!

And it goes completely against a mother's nature to let them go all the way under. But SL had a good point when she pointed out that she did hold her breath automatically and didn't choke on any water. She said the muscle at the back (of the sinus or throat or wherever) was being trained to close therefore making her learning to not hold her nose later in life much much easier.

And by fall, basically it's like when a toddler is learning to jump in--they stand on the edge and you hold their hands and sort of help them to jump. This is sitting her on the edge and holding her hands and sort of pulling her towards you.

Anyway, it's definitely a new experience for me, and Sydney has never cried or choked on any water or anything. She actually seems to like it!

Carolina girl said...

Wow! That's awesome! I don't think I could do it because I am a chicken, but good for you guys!:)

Erin said...

I'm glad Sydney likes it. I would be terrified, y'all are definitely more daring. Keep having fun with her. :)

Minnie said...

When I was in college I taught those classes.
That's AWESOME that you're doing it.

Anonymous said...

I bet Sydney will be the best swimmer of them all. Not sure I am all for throwing her to the bottom of my pool !!!???

Andrea said...

I have heard that newborn babies can naturaly swim. That is just what I heard. But that sounds like fun! It's good that you two have some girl time!!