Sunday, June 29, 2008

If Looks Could Kill

Tell me if you think I am too mean.

Last night, my dear child decided not to go to sleep. At all. Afterall, she is a teenage-wanna be, so what's the problem, right?

Ha, she's 9 years old. Just like I won't let my 7 year old sleep past 10, I won't let my 9 year old pull an all nighter. I know, so mean.

I found her reading in the bed, so I took it away. Then I found her writing things, so I took all that away, and closed her blinds so she couldn't use the lights in the yard across the street. Then I took another book away, along with the pen light she'd swiped from her dad. And about this time, it's about 1 a.m., so I just laid down on the couch to be closer to her in case she didn't go to sleep.

I guess I was tired. I woke up at 5:30 to see the bathroom light on, her bedroom light on and the kitchen light on. I went looking for her and found her makeup out on the bathroom counter, her book (the one I already took away and stashed in my room so she couldn't get it) on her bed, and her in the kitchen with her glittery clown face raiding the pantry, and trying to escape with a fist full of cookies. Oh, and her jammies were shed in favor of a dance leotard so she could prance and dance around.

At this point, let's just say there was no more doubt to my seriousness. There is also no doubt to how fast the child can run. Go To Sleep. Immediately.

I woke her butt up this morning at 8 (two hours of sleep for the brave little 9 year old), and made her get ready for church. Then I asked her what she thinks would be fair punishments. She didn't make one suggestion. Unfortunately for her, having your sleep deprived mother handing out your discipline isn't good when you're the reason she's that way.

I am getting lots of evil stares and dirty looks. If she could, I do believe she'd be shooting daggers out of her eyes at me. I have one very unhappy little girl.

Once again, one day, I'm going to pull out this post and say, "She did WHAT? It must be in her genes, because you did the same thing to me, see!!" And then I'm going to fall out laughing.

6 comments:

The Sanford Family said...

Wow! What got into her? I would have considered sedation around 1 am. I think waking her up on time is a very fair punishment.

Chris mentioned to me the other day he loves reading your blog. He reads them at work when he's near a computer. He said you crack him up and you write in such a way that he can totally imagine himself seeing it in person.

Laura said...

You know, a good dose of benadryl never ever occurred to me. Thanks! I'll file that one away in my "just in case" file in my brain. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, but I'm sure it will!

Anonymous said...

I guess I was sleeping through all of this.

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

Girl...I have a daughter just like this whose name is Kimberly....don't worry it gets worse. I am sorry to say, but it does. The only reason she goes to bed now, she has a job that she has to get to at 6: am. I laugh every time I think of that.

JNew said...

I wonder if she stood over your sleeping form on the couch, eating cookies and putting on lip gloss.

Andrea said...

Oh my, she is a night owl!! LOL!! I would have made her get up too!! Then I would have taken a nap after church!! I can't believe she stayed up that long!! Kids, do they ever get tired?