What do you get when you add thirty pounds of blueberries, four kids, a forty-five minute drive home, and 11 p.m. together?
One Very Tired Mom.
Considering those blueberries had to be picked by someone, and do you really think the kids helped much? No. They picked a little then went and sat on their tails in the van, while we remained slaving away until those buckets were full. Next time I will be instituting a "you only get to eat what you pick" rule. Meaning the amount I allow you to eat will directly correlate with the amount you picked. You pick more, you eat more. Steven keeps telling me if you eat too much of them they will stop you up. Did you know that little factoid? (Like I really needed 30 pounds of blueberries to begin with.)
And now it's after 11, I'm dead tired, no longer sweaty and hot, but just stinky and dry. I'm taking a break after cleaning and freezing one whole gallon (about 8 pounds worth) of blueberries. Steven has taken over and is working his way through the second gallon. The others will just have to wait until tomorrow.
Yes, I will clean blueberries on Sunday. I tried to work on Saturday, and you know what? I about out of time! Saturday is almost over, and these berries have to be dealt with. I did not spend hours breaking my back, sweating bullets, and fighting stickers on my ankles (oh, and watching out for snakes that thankfully never appeared) to let these suckers go bad.
So that's it. Tomorrow's going to be more work for me, but when it's all said and done, I'm going to have months worth of blueberries in the freezer, months worth of blueberry jam, also a full batch of pepper jelly, and if I'm feeling really motivated, I will also have a batch of pear honey made and a buttload of chicken canned.
Just nominate me for Molly Mormon of the year. I think I deserve it.
Now, I just have to go tuck in a couple of kids so they won't be severe grouches for their primary teachers can function at church tomorrow. As it is, it's hours past bedtime. Wish me luck!
3 comments:
I don't think Molly would do any work on Sunday. But Molly would share some of the berries with neighbors (which Molly's husband did do) and Molly would then visit with two neighbors in the neighborhood, which you did do. But I guess Molly would have left a pass along card with the neighbors because the neighbors are not members. Molly is such a hard act to follow these days.
Great blueberry jam, by the way!
Based on the number of comments that this blog post has recieved today, with today being sunday, it doesn't look like Molly participates in blogging on sunday either. JKA.
Based on the number of comments that this blog post has recieved today, with today being sunday, it doesn't look like Molly participates in blogging on sunday either. JKA.
Post a Comment