Saturday, August 16, 2008

Baby's Birthday

I forgot to tell you all about Sydney's first birthday! BAD MOM!! I know, slap my hand.

Anyway, it was fun. It was all about the princess. She wore a princess onesie (I made), a tutu (I made), and a special birthday hat (I also made).

We had a pretty good "cook-out." But with the heat index being like 104 that day, it was more like a cook-out, eat-in. Luckily it ended up cooling off and all the neighbors hung out after the party until about 9 that night. We all sat around on the back patio and watched the kids play and enjoyed the evening. It was fantastic.

Princess Sydney didn't make a huge mess with her cake like you would expect. Partially due to being tired, partially due to having had a bunch while we were making it earlier that morning, and partially due to just not wanting to make a big mess, I think. Did I finally get blessed with a neat freak??

I've had many requests for cake pictures. So, with much adieu, here is the final masterpiece:












7 hours and 4 cake mixes went into that. It was well worth the effort despite the horrible aching feet I had when we were done!

A few more pics:









These would be us singing happy birthday, her with the hat on, and the biggest mess she made. She didn't even need a bath! A true princess, who minded her manners. Except for when I had to pull her down from climbing on her bookshelf in her room, and almost immediately after, the boys bunk-bed ladder. She was on the second step, going for the third before I got her.

No more baby for me. She's all toddler now. Keep me in your prayers!!

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I cannot believe you made that huge cake! Holy cow! Wait is it illegal to say that to a Louisianan? What are you called?

Anyways, good job on the cake it looks like a wedding cake. I bet it was good! My b-day is in May so get to planning a big cake for me! :o)

Amanda said...

I was just going back to your page to find the link to get back to mine and you moved me to the ALMOST TOP!!!! Oh my, I almost peed a little! Thanks so much!!!

I will only say nice things about you now!!!! LOL!!!!

Laura said...

HaHa, keep feeling special. But it's automatic. When you post on your blog you get moved to the top. So if you wanna stay there, GET ON THE BALL!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, come on, Laura. She was feeling all good and stuff thinking that you were moving her up in your rankings and then you had to go and bust her bubble by telling her that you actually have no input on the order of the listing. Talk about take the wind our of the sails.

Andrea said...

What a fantastic cake, you did a wonderful job!! Love it!
Happy birthday Sidney! She is just too cute! I know, they grow up too fast and no longer the cuddly baby anymore, sniff sniff.

JNew said...

Wow, what an amazing cake! I'm guessing the polka dots are marzipan, but what about the stars?

Laura said...

Thanks! Dots are fondant icing, and the stars are white chocolate.

npage79 said...

Wow good job on the cake. I'm it looks great.

Amanda said...

Thanks for having my back Steven!!

Anonymous said...

DANG! That cake is amazing.. That's awesome, good job, Laura!