Saturday, August 16, 2008

Stupid Stupid Legislators

I'm not particularly a fan of law makers. I think they lack a huge amount of, uh, intelligence. And it's freaking scary how we let them make the laws!

Congress is a soap box I'm not sure I should even open. Let's just say I'm in the vast majority group of Americans who do NOT approve of how they are working. I think they are a bunch of whiny, lazy, no-good fakers who can talk the talk.

Louisiana isn't much better. (Actually, no state is, but I live here so I'm going to knock it.) Our legs (short for legislator) go sit on their butts in Baton Rouge for like three months out of the entire year and have decided that they need a freaking raise. And not a normal amount raise, but a huge one. All the while our state foster babies are riding in recalled car seats b/c of lack of funding.

Did you know it's illegal to steal an alligator? Yep, up to 10 years in prison. Let me just say that if the average person can survive stealing an alligator, they can survive prison. They are tough.

Some other crazies:

  • it's illegal to gargle in public places
  • you must say ma'am and sir to your teachers in school
  • it's illegal to get a pizza delivered to your friend without them knowing ($500 fine)
  • it's illegal to rob a bank (duh) and then shoot the teller with a water pistol

And here's a few for you Sulphur people out there:

  • It's illegal to be an alcoholic
  • It's illegal to say obscene things on the phone (threw that in b/c I KNOW you all have problems with this)
  • It's illegal to have sex with a cow.

Now, I know that there are freaky people out there who necessitate freaky and stupid laws. But it really ticks me off when it has to affect the rest of us normals.

First day of school today, and I get a nice official looking letter home. Our smart boys and girls out in Baton Rouge have been sitting around using their brains again.

This time, it's tardies. It's now illegal to have unexcused tardies, absences and check-outs from school. ILLEGAL.

Punishable by a fifty dollar fine and/or 25 hours community service by the fifth offense, and by a two hundred and fifty dollar fine and/or 30 days in jail by the 10th offense.

Fortunately it did make good material for scaring my kids. They have never seen a problem with being late for school. Tardy? Who cares! What's the problem with that? An attitude, I promise you, they did NOT pick up from me.

But you should have seen their wide, round scared eyes when I read them the punishments and they found out Steven and I could actually spend a month in jail if they are late. And they asked what foster care is. So I told em.

I also told em about group homes, and let me tell you, I do believe they now know they would prefer to stay home.

But really people, a freaking law? How about, instead of sitting over there for such a small amount of time dreaming up stupid and insignificant ways to keep control of us, you use your time for good. Like, uh, maybe you could pass laws to help reduce the massive crime rates, or you could pass pay raises for our teachers and social workers who, if single, would have to be on food stamps (love you Lauren!).

I'm now closing the lid on my soapbox. Don't you all just think that if I ran the world (and I don't even have to do it alone, I could think of many many people who would do just as good of a job as me) we'd all be MUCH better off??

For sure I wouldn't sit around making it illegal to predict a person's future (Port Allen).

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

P.S. All you Tennessee people, watch out: No Christian parent can require their kids to pick up trash from a highway on Easter. Oh, and their definition of "dumb animal" includes "every living creature."

And in Texas, it's illegal to sell your eye. And it's illegal to take more than three sips of beer while standing. You might fall down drunk, you know.

HaHa, I can't stop! It's absurd!!!

6 comments:

npage79 said...

Wow, that's crazy. Illegal to be late for school. My parents would have lived in jail from my 8th grade year where I was late every day til my senior year.

Be A Saint said...

Well, maybe people will take the opportunity to have their children educated more seriously and honor the teachers and educators who are trying to do this, by being on time. It is completely avoidable to be jailed or fined. Sounds like they are doing it right to me. Parental responsibility is #1 school problem if you ask me. Yes, ma'am!!!

Melinda said...

I want to know how the kids are going to get to school at all when their parents are sitting in jail. I try my best to get my kids to school on time, but sometimes we just need to sleep in.

I would prefer they fine my eight year old when she is late for school because she sits on the floor of her bedroom refusing to put on he socks for over an hour. Now who's fault is that?

Laura said...

My point exactly!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Amanda said...

You moved back there....LOL! I was so hoping to bring home an alligator from there when I visit too! D@mn....I'm not coming now!!! HA!!!!

Minnie said...

Holy Cow.

I share your anger, but it seems so much more miserable when you actually see those crazy laws in writing.