Just so we're clear, everyone knows I'm an LSU fan, right? I want to make sure there are no mistakes. LSU Rocks.
Ok. I think we're clear now. No misunderstandings. I am a tiger through and through. The end.
I lived through Wildcat torment and won, through Volunteer comedy and conquered, and through the most annoying and redneck sounding Hog calls you can imagine and not only kept my sanity, but my pride also. (Really, only in Arkansas can you sit through a football game and hear rednecks wearing pig snouts hollering "soo-ie." And hailing a man in charge named "Nutt." The scary part is I'm dead serious. Not making that up.) I flew my big ol LSU flag from my front porch for years in Arkansas proudly. You'd be amazed at the number of compliments I got too. Seems Arkansans have a liking for the good Tigers too. They're just still in the closet.
So last night, my neighbor calls. Seems she ordered this fantastically cool birthday present for Jacob. It's just the perfect thing for him. An outdoor checker set! And really, he loves to play checkers. How exciting! A present he won't open up and send sailing over his shoulder as he dives for the next in line. Always a plus when gift-opening manners are thrown to the wind.
But one problem. She ordered it online, and when it showed up, they sent the wrong one. Seems she ordered a regular old set. One with the red and black checkers--just like the cheap $2.00 Walmart set. Only they sent the wrong colors. It came in orange and blue.
"That's not a problem," I told her. "He likes those colors."
"Yes, well, the colors actually aren't the bad thing. Let me just say that when I ordered this, no where on the site did it say I was getting this. But on the back of the checkerboard, there is a big UA. It's Auburn. Is that going to be a problem?"
Like I'm going to say, yes, thanks for ordering my son a great present, but you'd do just as well to take it out to the Ike burn pile and dump it there. Now.
No. I said, after laughing really hard, "No, luckily he hasn't been completely indoctrinated against Auburn yet. He's only completely aware of Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee. So he won't get it."
And he really won't. He opened it up tonight and was entirely excited about it. It was a great present. And we just won't ever turn it over to the UA side. Ev-Er.
Ok. So now here's my problem.
We play Auburn on Saturday. Now, I'm not a particularly superstitious person. Not at all. My dad will make us rub the LSU logo on his lucky hat if the game is down to the wire and there's a game winning potential touchdown about to happen. And then there's the lucky shirt, and heaven forbid, the lucky "draws." (I've never asked, and he's never said. I suspect, but some things are just too much information! I learned that well when I got dragged to my future step mother's lingerie shower when I was in high school. Yeah.)
So I'm sitting with this checker board in my house and a huge game on Saturday. I'm not sure this is a good combination. But then, I have to balance rudeness to my neighbor with come-on-it's-LSU-and-they-must-rule.
Any suggestions?
**Oh, and all you out there with ESPN on Saturday night--I'll travel!! And I'll bring food! And I'll even grovel!! PUL-EESE!!!
8 comments:
Oh, I think Hog fans are HALARIOUS!!!
Uhm...GO OSU!! hee hee hee. But I guess since I am here in the south I should kinda try to conform.
Oh, and I couldn't go to playgroup yesterday because Clayton's school got out at noon. So, as soon as I go to play group I would have had to turn right around and drive the 20 minutes back to school. But i will come next week. You will have to email me directions to your house!!
Um, maybe the checkers could just "wait" in the garage/burn pile until after the game.
Your description of the Arkansas deal is spot on!
We should just hang it beside the LSU flag in the living room....
As If, RETARD!!
Although the flag in the living room is a pretty cool touch. Too bad there's no freaking ESPN to go with it!
I'm officially NOT your friend anymore! If you are going to make fun of me on your blog!!!!!!! So take that!!!!!!!!! I do feel for you though. I know Louisiana is the armpit of the US!!! HA, I heard someone say that last week! It must be all that bad air that has you saying things you don't mean!
WOOOOOOO PIIIIGGGGGG SOOOOOOIIIEEEE!!!!!
And further more, Nutt is gone. Our QB still has the last name Dick though!!! HA!!! Good luck for your game!
And I have ESPN.....COME ON OVER!!! AND A 52 INCH TV.....TEMPTED????
No, sorry Mandy, NOT TEMPTED. You would tease me to get me there and then Matt would subject me to the friggin razorbacks and only switch to the tigers during commercials. I know your game...
Post a Comment