Wednesday, October 1, 2008

He's an Engineer!!


I can't believe it. I was sitting down to check up on my emails and I realized I forgot to blog about the funniest thing last week!

I'm not quite sure how to go about making it as funny as it was. It was one of those kids-say-the-darndest-things mixed up with where-is-his-reality-at?

The boys and I were chilling around town, killing some time while Ashley was in dance class. Gorgeous afternoon--blue clear skies, not too hot but definitely warm, and we were coming out of Sonic.

I looked up to the right, which happened to be in the exact direction of the dance studio, and I saw this huge plume of black smoke billowing. Right about that time I heard on the radio a caller asking the DJ where the black smoke over town was coming from.

And I thought, CRAP, that's right on top of the studio. CRAP!!

And my heart pounded because the closer I drove to it, the closer I got to the smoke. And the traffic got thicker and thicker and we got closer and closer.

It wasn't the studio but it turned out to be a house one block over that was up in flames.

And all the intelligent people in town decided to detour down this little residential road, while the firefighters and police and EMT's were having to fight traffic to even get down the road.

As we were driving along, we passed the street. We could see the hoards of people, cars and lights just down the way. Jacob hollers, WAY COOL!! A house is on FIRE!!

I couldn't resist. I had to jump down his throat about that one. No, NOT COOL. It's NOT cool that someone's house is on fire, and now they have no bed, no toothbrush, no underwear. If they were even able to get out.

He, of course, to save face, immediately corrected himself and said, No mom, I meant that the trucks are cool. That's all.

So I gave him that. The trucks are really cool.

We got stuck in some fairly big traffic trying to get in to pick up Ashley. It was insane, and we got caught up in the middle of more police and firetrucks trying to get to the scene.

Finally we were able to pull into the parking lot, and the boys wanted to get out and see the trucks. There is a bench along the outside of the door of the studio, so I let them get out and sit out there, while I went in.

Now, normally, they love sitting there, and they usually chat to whoever is going in the door. So it wasn't unusual to see parents coming in, and stopping to say hi to the boys before they walked in.

What was unusual was the attention they were paying to my boys. One lady stopped, and the look on her face was astonishment.

Then she kind of inched the door open, although her attention was still on the boys.

And then I heard it. The story of the day.

I heard her say, "You must be so proud of your dad! That's wonderful that he's over there putting out the fire. What a hero!"

She walked in and said, those boys out there said their dad is working and helping over there! Wow!

I looked at her, shocked, so it took me a second to get anything out of my mouth. And then I said, "Don't listen to them. They are telling you stories. They are full of it."

She said, WHAT? Their dad isn't a firefighter? I said NO!!! Not even close! Unless someone forgot to tell me that firefighting has been added to an Engineer's job description!"

I had to go outside and tell my boys to stop telling people their dad was a firefighter, over fighting the fire that they could see.

It wasn't even funny that they had made up the story. They funny thing is that every was totally believing them. I am raising some convincing liars!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, they're good!

The Sanford Family said...

Wow, I'm impressed. How did Steven feel about this? Is he considering a career change?

Laura said...

He Laughed and Laughed! He was amazed they were so convincing and came up with such a story!

Amanda said...

I am impressed! Just makes you feel like you are doing something right, doesn't it????

HA!!HA!!! Oh, children. Who said they were a gift again???

Unknown said...

Nope, not me. The only fires that I put out are the ones from our kitchen stove top when all that accumulated stuff in the burner eyes gets too hot. I believe we've had this happen twice. Once with the leavings of Pear Honey and the second was from some oil. I guess your suposed to keep those cleaned out.

Hey everybody! Laura mowed the grass! Ain't she the greatest!

Unknown said...

Nope, not me. The only fires that I put out are the ones from our kitchen stove top when all that accumulated stuff in the burner eyes gets too hot. I believe we've had this happen twice. Once with the leavings of Pear Honey and the second was from some oil. I guess your suposed to keep those cleaned out.

Hey everybody! Laura mowed the grass! Ain't she the greatest!