So I used to live there. I went back to school there, despite my LSU love and my razorback hatred. Luckily I was at a campus that was not the real razorback one, but one just a part of the system: kind of like LSUS or LSUE. Anyway, it was a good school, and I loved being there. I met all kinds of people, made new friends, and proudly wore my lsu shirts at least three times a week.
It was a big challenge to get myself motivated to go back to school. I'd been a stay at home mom for like 7 years and I had three kids and a house to take care of. But my baby was three, and it was time. So I went.
Life got a little more chaotic for me, but Steven was so good. He worked alot but he'd come home and cook dinner or run the laundry, give kids baths, whatever needed to be done. I was gone a lot, but between the two of us, we got it.
I got fairly close to being done too. Like within three semesters. I took my last mandatory math class--calculus 1, and I was terrified. It had been 8 years since I'd been in algebra and trig, and while I did fine in those classes, I'd had no math exposure since.
So imagine my surprise when at the end of the semester, I not only was told I had the highest grade in the class (without my bonus project being graded) but that she felt I needed to consider math as a major. "What, are you kidding? There is no way I could do that! I'm SO not a mathy person and I'm so close to finishing, why would I change my major now?"
So I changed. I changed knowing that I would be set back a whole year in school, that I'd have to take engineering physics (YIKES!) and that I was doing the right thing. Prayer gives you that confidence. And it was amazing that after I set down that course, we decided to move to La. Which meant another year in school. It also meant that the school here didn't have the previous degree I was pursuing and had I stayed in that major I'd have been royally screwed. Instead I was able to get two more semesters of math out of the way. Enough to convince me that maybe, just maybe, I could do it afterall.
Enough confidence that I even invested in the two super turbo calculators they wanted me to buy. Beaucoup money, trust me.
So...blah, blah, we moved, we had a baby, baby is one, and it's time to quit being lazy. I think.
I got online last night and started looking at the differential equations class I need to take. I looked at the profiles of the two professors who are teaching it next semester, and their current syllabus' for the class.
And I promptly went to inform Steven that I am moving back to UAFS.
Seriously though, that was a school where I knew everyone. I knew all the teachers. I knew who the scary ones were and the good ones. I knew I could show up in any of their offices (or on their doorsteps at home--which might annoy them, but I did it anyway out of desperation) for help at any time. They held my hand and got me through. How am I going to manage here?
AND the school here won't even let me use any of my fancy-schmancy calculators! Really! That's a whole other stupid post though. A whole other rant.
Anyway, bottom line--I'm scared. I'm praying for a bit of guidance here, and I sure want the Lord to tell me to stay home and keep mooching off my hubs.
That, or direct me back to UAFS. Which I might just do anyway. Watch out Mandy!! I might show up on your doorstep!
7 comments:
Come on over!!! I'll be waiting!!!
You're selling yourself short. Anyone who manages to raise a family, go to school and keep her sanity will do fine. NO MATTER WHERE!
So you're smart and skinny? it's getting hard to check on your blog, my self esteem is plummeting. But you are great, you are my new eblog friend, so in my book that makes you pretty special.
I have two classes to take and I have my BS! But I am not looking at doing that any time soon. I am going to wait and raise my kidos. I don't think I could handle schoola nd the kids. You have to be one tough cookie!
I would love to move, anywhere. I will move with you to Arkansas. It's really pretty there.
Let's go Andrea! Mandy can hook us up with an apartment, and we'll bring the babies. But all the boys have to stay here. No boys allowed!
you'll do great in school, wherever you are!
Can I stalk you too!!! I am so glad to be reconnecting with all these old friends. Fun stuff. Good luck with school you will do well and be really glad in the end that you finished.
Post a Comment