Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight

Well, guys, I wasn't going to do it. I was NOT going to join the blogging ranks of twilight reviews. I was going to come in tonight, take the dog out, turn out the lights and go to bed. I knew if I popped on the computer, even for just a second, that I wouldn't be able to resist. So here I am. A true test of my willpower.

So...Twilight? Sucked. Unless you LIKE low-budget-feel, fake acting, emo movies. Me? I prefer to see a smile when two people fall in love. I prefer to feel the happiness, elation, satisfaction of being with someone you can't be without. I know the obsession comes with it too--they're teenagers for crying out loud. They MUST obsess. But it's like love=obsession + depression. Not an equation that works out. Sorry.

I think as far as the story goes, it was true to the book. Bella, Carlyse, Rosalie, Emmett, Alice and Bella's dad are all just like I pictured them to be. And Edward too, in a lot of ways. The Cullen Mansion? So NOT a mansion. What happened to the big ol humongous mansion and the big ol honkin room of Edwards? His room wasn't even big enough for larger than a twin bed! Whatever.

I had such high hopes. I got more satisfaction and entertainment out of the Twilight Spoof. Really, you should watch it. It's the best!

Edited to add: Review quotes: "But much of what made the relationship between Edward and the smitten Bella Swan work in Meyer’s breezy book has been stripped away on screen. The funny, lively banter — the way in which Edward and Bella teased and toyed with one another about their respective immortality and humanity — is pretty much gone, and all that’s left is a slog of adolescent angst."

"There’s nothing transporting about the visuals. “Twilight” was a famously low-budget production compared to most traditional blockbusters, but this is ridiculous. "

"It doesn’t help that, as Bella, Kristen Stewart looks sullen the entire time. She’s supposed to be enraptured by the thrills of her first love. Instead, she appears in the throes of pain. Sure, they can feel like the same thing when you’re a teenager, but Stewart’s one-note performance makes it difficult to get swept away by Bella’s forbidden, romantic adventure."

So, I'm really curious to know what you all thought. Did anyone think the acting was just BAD? Or that the setting was kind of wrong? Or that the portrayal was just off?




The Breast Cancer Site

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bella's dad totally made the movie for me; I thought he was halarious! And, the fight scences were AWESOME; something my imagination couldn't make up. I have to admit, the intimacy/relationship b/w Bella and Edward was just plain CHEESY. I can't see 16-year olds really being like that. I liked it though, but enjoyed the book way better.

Amanda said...

I liked it, but it left me wanting to reread the books. I think they left some things out of the movie that would have made it a little better.

I think for the most part it was good!!!

The Sanford Family said...

I haven't see it yet. We have been unable to find a babysitter, yet. I'm toying with the idea of going by myself tonight. At least I'm warned to not be too dissappointed how they protrayed Bella's/Edward's relationship.

The Sanford Family said...

I haven't see it yet. We have been unable to find a babysitter, yet. I'm toying with the idea of going by myself tonight. At least I'm warned to not be too dissappointed how they protrayed Bella's/Edward's relationship.

Anonymous said...

I havent seen it yet either...not sure if I want to??? lol

Hi there...I just wanted to invite you over to my blog for a huge Black Friday Bash!! I`ll be doing free giveaways every hour on the hour and a grand prize drawing at 6pm. Head over today to "grab a ticket" to be entered and check out the sweet prize list!!Hope to see you there!! Please feel free to bring all your friends.

http://kandykissesboutique.typepad.com/

Laurie
Kandy Kisses Boutique
Childrens Couture

JNew said...

I thought the previews looked really bad - cheap and cheesy, so even though I was excited to see it, I feared the worst. But I was pleasently surprised, it was much better than the previews looked. But I did think Carlisle seemed too young, Jasper seemed WAY too young, and wasn't Rosalie supposed to be tall and beautiful? Overall, I liked it.

Laura said...

I'll give you all this, though: James was HOT!! He was the hottest thing in the movie! LOL

Andrea said...

So, I thought it would have made a better "made for tv movie" that way they could have been low budget and draw it out over three nights of viewing.

It was kinda sad that it was so cheesy.

One question, What was a clumbsy girl doing up in a 50 foot tree? COme on???