I had a friend call me yesterday. The converstion went something like this:
C: So I hear you run on your treadmill everyday.
Me: HA HA!! I'd LIKE to run on my treadmill everyday. I'd LIKE to get in shape. But the reality is totally different!
C: Well, I'm wanting to get in shape too, and I want to do a race or something. Do you think you could do a half marathon in two weeks?
Me: HA HA HA HA HA!!!! You have LOST your mind!
I haven't been posting much here lately, and I promise I haven't forgotten about you all. Life has just been so dang busy, and I'm trying to stay ahead of everything so I don't get overwhelmed again.
So with all the things going on, and my to-do list growing by the mile every day, I'm lucky to hit the treadmill twice a week. And when I miss a full week, like I did this week, I lose every bit of progress I've made. I get back on and am lucky to be able to squeeze half a mile out. Yuck.
But a big topic here in the past few months has been my weightloss, so I thought I'd update you on it, and brag a little bit.
At the beginning of December, I bought a size 8 jeans from American Eagle. They were tight at the store! Two weeks later, I pulled those suckers straight off without unzipping/unbuttoning them. Now I know this has to do with the stretching of the jeans, but really, when I'm walking around in my new 8's I'm so proud of, and they're literally falling off my hips, that is something awesome. I went back to the store and tried on a six. They fit awesomely, but the length wasn't right, so I ordered them online. They came in a week later, and they weren't quite right after wearing them for twenty minutes. They were stretching out too! So I took them back. I tried on the four--A 4!!--just for kicks. Those suckers freaking fit! NO WAY! I haven't worn a size 4 since I got married--11 years ago. But you have to realize--a size four at American Eagle in no way means I can wear a size 4 anywhere else.
Well, at least until I got to JcPenny. I tried on a 4 in their St John's Bay, and those suckers were TIGHT. But, in celebration of the fact that I got them on, zipped and buttoned, and they were on sale, I bought them. And now, they're a perfect fit.
I am SO not posting my before pictures for you, though. I will give you the low down. I weighed 115 and was a size 4 when I got married. I was 165 and size 14 after having baby 4. I was 142 before baby 4, and a 10 was getting snug. I've now lost roughly 42 pounds and have dropped back to a four. Fortunately for me, a four now isn't quite the same as a four back then. If the pants had to come up around my waist, well, that'd be a different story.
With the weightloss, I've not had any backaches, shoulder pains or anything. I have beaucoup energy, and feel great. But (and I've heard others say this, but now I totally get it) I'm still the same Laura. It's exciting to pack up most of my closet because the clothes are too big, but I walk around every day feeling like the same person I've always been.
I hit my goal of 125 last week, which is a weight I really didn't think I could hit. I've passed it up by a couple of pounds now, which makes me think maybe, just maybe, I could hit the marriage weight! But with that said, if I don't lose another pound I'll be just fine. My lack of exercise is the problem to fix now. I've still got a great layer of belly fat, and only a few months before we can start wearing bathing suits! LOL!!
No really, I'm at high risk for adult onset diabetes, and also I have a strong family history of breast cancer and fibromyalgia--all of which are absolute nightmares. And the only way I'm going to be able to withstand all this is to get in shape and keep the weight off. So while this is exciting for me, it's very very important for my health and my family. I see what my mom and her sisters and my grandmother go through daily, and I cannot live like that. The only thing I've got on them is my love of exercise.
So I'm actually sort of rethinking the marathon idea. NOT in two weeks, but longer term for sure. I'm thinking of starting with a 5k race, at the beginning of March, which is a "Race for the Cure." I'm thinking with my family history, and my MIL and neighbor both having treatments for breast cancer right now, there is no better way to begin my running "career" right?
The only other thing I need is company. I cannot go out and run the race alone!! I need buddies!! Any takers??
11 comments:
I'll run with you! Oh wait...I'm a little further away than 5k so I'll start heading that way now:o) I'm proud of you!
OH my goodness, Laura! How are you doing this?
I've run 3 marathons, and I'll tell you, the training puts you in good shape, but (for me at least)didn't really help my weight. I was just so Hungry all the time that I kept eating.
I'm thinking about marathoning this year, but I have to do something about this extra 15 lbs before I can! too hard on the knees.
You are amazing! What a weight loss inspiration...
How the heck are you losing weight without exercising? I have to exercise like crazy just to get a little to come off, and it is slow at that! I am happy for you though. After this baby is born, I have to get back to working out or I'm looking at lots of scary diseases that run in my family too. I so wish I could run with you because I've always wanted to be a runner, but I have bad knees. I think you should go for it though. =)
You suck, I have only lost 10 lbs. YOu suck, but I am soooo happy for you!! That is sooo great!! I haven't been a 4 since like uhm.......6th grade!! I would be happy in a 10! LOL!!
I am glad you are back! Missed ya, and have fun running, I am too far away, oh , and where is play group this week?
Maybe now your kid won't make comments about your butt as you walk..lol. Happy for you. Wish I could run with you..I really miss it and wish I could have stuck through it in my first trimester. Maybe next time I'm preggers.
Enjoy running. I have never gotten into it, but all of my friends who have love it. I will cheer you on. Go for the half marathon!
hmmmm...run? i will walk fast with you! Soccer took out my knees so running is not so much fun for me anymore!
So I totally hav a thank you note for you and I swear one day i will send it out yo ya!
Hi - I just found your blog and I had to say "way to go!" You're a true inspiration and should be very proud. I say go for it (the 1/2 or full marathon). Even if you don't lose another pound, it will keep you motivated and you'll feel great having done it!
I'll run with you. Don't know if I could keep up for 5K, but I would love to try. Maybe in the process I'll lose the 45 I need to, too!
That's AWESOME! Congratulations to you for all of your hard work. I'll bet you were pumped to buy a size 4!
Thanks for the update.
Post a Comment