There was some confusion yesterday on my post, so I'm going to try to clear it up.
(The original post is here, for all you forget faithful readers.)
Our law in Louisiana changed this past summer. It went from reasonable to absurd very quietly. No one that I know of heard of this even being considered in the state legislature. But they actually made it illegal to have unexcused absences/tardies/checkouts from school.
We got a notification on the first day of school. I should point out, however, that absolutely NO ONE that I know in the entire rest of the state (and I know a bunch in a different places) got any sort of notice, and in fact, until I asked them about it, all had never even heard of the change!
Basically, here, at three tardies/checkout/absences we're supposed to have a warning meeting and sign a letter. Then at five, you get fined and at ten you get a bigger fine and community service or jail time. I'm at eleven.
I read the wording of the original law, which was that schools had the responsibility to document those who were...being irresponsible, and they turned them in on a case by case. I KNOW the whole argument about it being discrimination if every isn't subjected to the same guidelines. But we are all subjected, and if my children's education isn't suffering, then I, as a parent, should have the right to, say, allow them a day home of rest if they need one.
With that said, my kids do miss school some. Not entire days--never entire days, though. Two kids are ADD and they require dr. appts at least every three months. And with my schedule/life, the stress it puts on us to do the appts. after school, with one parent and four kids waiting on a dr. who will always be behind at that time of the day, it's very reasonable to check the kids out and then back in when they have to do. Unfortunately for Jacob, we've been trying to get his med. right since the beginning of Oct, so he's had an appt. every month since then.
Throw on top of that one unnecessary checkout he had to go to Houston for Halloween weekend, two checkouts for pretending to be sick (and one check in for bringing his bum right back to school the second time), and one checkout for the day he "trotted" in his pants, and the child's annoying habit of eating breakfast at home and then eating again at school while knowing he doesn't have time to, and I'm over my 10 for the semester.
It should be noted that last six weeks, Ashley had perfect attendance, and the two (or three?) before that Christopher had it. It is not my problem if Jacob is dropped off at school in plenty of time to walk to his classroom before the tardy bell rings, and he instead goes to the cafeteria where they actually serve him knowing the tardy bell is going to ring in three minutes!
And then the office informs me that yes, those DO count! But yet they don't want me walking him to his classroom every morning? Ha. Ha.
So the letter they sent was my warning letter, which was seriously late. I haven't signed it yet, b/c I want it noted before it goes into an official file what's been going on here. This is in no way my fault, and in every way the school's fault. I don't pay for him to eat breakfast up front, but they sure don't have a problem sending me a bill for it!
I'm pretty perturbed by this whole thing...and I did inform Jacob that if I end up in stripes picking up trash on the side of the highway, his little butt will be right there too. It's only fair!
8 comments:
That is insane.
I'd contact an attorney regarding the legitimacy of such a claim. If he's late, fine, but if you've gotten him there on time, an entirley different story.
HOME SCHOOL!
That's rediculous. Is there some sort of appeals process?
I am totally going to tell people that I have a friend who is in prison for letting her kids skip school! So please be sure to blog before you go in!!!
Srsly....aren't there bigger problems they could be worrying about? I mean like the parents who may beat their children or goodness knows what else?? Well, Arkansas will ALWAYS welcome you back!!!
Oh, and this state just keeps getting dumber. Sorry, but it's the truth.
I have checked Clayton out, but all I do when I am signing him out, is get a post it note from a desk in the office and write that I am checking clayton out and I sign it. That is my letter and it is then excused. So, just write a note, every time you check him out. And get Dr. notes and then it will be excused too. It's all about the notes. And it's a pain in the butt, but it at least keeps ya out of jail!!
LOL! If only it were that easy! Technically notes from a parent aren't excused anymore. You must have a valid dr excuse, which I do have. However, even with the excuses, they're still sending out the warning letters and are still counting the absences. Dr. excuses don't wipe out the absences, they just allow the work to be made up. Anyway, I think most parishes aren't really worrying about the change much. Just ours! Of course.
I just kept thinking BUT THEY'RE EXCUSED!!! But apparently after reading your comment, they're not. What a load of crap. First hurricanes, now this, you need to move from Louisianna! :)
Our laws are similar. I don't have kids in school yet, so I am not sure on the particulars, but you aren't allowed to have un-excused absences. One of my husband's co-workers wanted to take his kids on a mission trip to South America to build homes a few days before a scheduled holiday and the school said NO. He took them anyway and paid the fine. I agree that taking it on a case by case basis lends itself toward unfairness, but they have to be able to account for things that are clearly NOT negligence or abuse or bad parenting.
Post a Comment